Search This Blog

Translate to your language

Friday, September 25, 2015

My new book on Figure Carving

Carving has been one of my pet pastimes for several years. I mostly do figure carving. I have carved figures based on ancient sculptures, scenes from well known historical events, caricatures, theme based collages, and so on.
 
My recent visit to a remote Indian “carvers’ village” prompted me to write this book. I found that traditional carvers in that village still follow some ancient style of figure carving that had been in vogue for several centuries in and around India, from Afghanistan to Cambodia, from Himalayas to Indonesia with today’s India forming the heartland. And amazingly, it is still followed in southern India!

In a completely different approach to figure carving, this tradition has some interesting features not to mention the variety and unlimited number of possibilities. In this book, I give an overview of this ancient art form based on ancient carving manuals that are still meticulously followed. I also showcase lots and lots of examples of figures carved in this style to motivate anyone interested.




Try it to expand your figure carving options and foray into a new magical world. This book is currently available for preorder through all major retailers (Apple, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, Smashwords and so on) except Amazon (amazon does not allow long preorders). Please do place your order to indicate your interest. You can also give me suggestions through this blog so that I can update the book keeping them in view. Click the following links to see the product page on some of your favorite retailers.

No comments:

Post a Comment