Search This Blog

Translate to your language

Thursday, September 3, 2020

NewBook: The ultimate book on Yoga





 



I am happy to announce the release of my 22nd book namely “The ultimate book on Yoga”. This also happens to be my 5th book on Yoga.

I have been working on this book for quite some time.  


I have tried to put in lot of information in this rather big book (almost 400 pages). But I have made it a point to explain things in a very simple language with lots of examples from real life.

The book is centered around Patanjali Yoga. But it picks up lot of good things from ancient Indian Upanishads, Bhagavad Geetha, Buddhist Tipitaks, Hatayoga texts, and even modern versions of Yoga in addition to the well-known Yoga Sutra of Patanjali.

Whether your goal is mundane health enhancement, or stress reduction, or developing mental concentration, or enhancing mental capabilities, or having a taste of the inexplicable spiritual bliss, or ultimate realization, you will find lot of tips and suggestions in this book. All through the book, I have also explained in neurological terms how each of these is achieved. That should go a long way to demystify Yoga and make it more effective.

This book is available in almost all online stores such as amazon, Apple, Google Play, Scribd, and so on. Click the link https://books2read.com/UltimateYoga to preview and purchase the book from your favorite store.

Happy reading. Please don’t forget to leave back your reviews on the site where you purchased this book from.

Thank you.
 

8 comments:

  1. Hi Dr. King

    I am currently reading your book. I have a question . Why should there be a historical basis and why should we believe what our ancestors did were right? To a scientific mind , history should be immaterial?

    G.K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for writing in.
      Historical basis is needed to understand how our thought process evolved and also to prevent aberrations that we see in recent times.
      No I never say that whatever our ancestors did was right. In fact, I criticize all wrong things when possible and needed. The best way is to accept good things wherever we find them and condemn bad things - that is needed - when such things spring up. That is the reason I criticize modern Gurus. Any criticism well intended and based on sound reasons should be welcome.
      No, science does not stop you from learning from history and it is wrong to say that.

      Delete
  2. Dr. King

    I have still not completed reading your book. But I have some comments.
    1. In many places, you split para abruptly. That makes reading easy but don't you think splitting related sentences looks odd?
    2. In many cases - say for example when you discuss Yama and Niyama, you start with an example or story rather than first define the terms. You define them at the end. But as a reference book, I felt defining first makes it more convenient.

    More comments as I read on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my book and giving feedback.
      Yes, I do break para sometimes a bit abruptly. That was intentional since I felt that it makes it reading easy, especially on devices where the page size is small.
      Regarding your second comment - I have deliberately done that way because many people don't like formal way of presentation since they find it a bit academic and dry. And as you yourself pointed out I define things at the end of examples.

      Delete
  3. Hi Dr.King
    I just started reading this book. You have covered many of the ancient books on Yoga. But what I am wondering is why you have not talked about Yoga Vasista which is a very ancient text believed to be belonging to Rama's times. I am curious to know.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am aware of this book. I read it sometime back. My impression was that this book is of more recent origin than what is claimed. I have read that it is a text belonging to 10th century A.D. which was continuously modified till 18th century. It is very common for many authors of such books to name it after some ancient saint to give authenticity to their views.
      I did not find anything worth presenting from that book.

      Delete
  4. Dr. King
    I red your book. You trace the origins of yoga/meditation to Upanishads. But what I heard from many lectures from well known swamijis is that the meditation described in the Upanishads is not the same as what Patanjali talks about. The meditation in Upanishads is more of deeply pondering about a idea like "Aham Brahmasmi" and so on. It does not involve stopping the mind as in Patanjali meditation. did I understand it right?

    Nayak

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nayak for writing in and bringing this to my notice. I am aware that some Advaita proponents don't consider the meditation in the Upanishad as same as that talked about Patanjali.
      I don't think that that view is correct. There are many places in the Upanishads that suggest that meditation is the same as what is talked about by Patanjali. Even in Bhagavad Gita, meditation is talked about on similar lines as that discussed by Patanjali.And Bhagavad Gita is believed to be based on Upanishads. So, I guess it is just some personal opinion these swamijis have for whatever reason. Probably you should ask these Swamijis about why they think so.

      Delete