Search This Blog

Translate to your language

Friday, May 10, 2019

QV07.....Why should we care for our parents and those in need?






Continuing our discussion on the 5 essential commandments of Islam as listed by the Holy Quran, today let us take up the second commandment namely
Treat with kindness your parents and kindred, and orphans and those in need.”

In today’s individual centered societies, neither the parents take care of their children nor the children take care of the parents.

But if you see all ancient societies, taking care of the parents when they needed was always of paramount importance. Parents taking care of the children was taken for granted.

On several occasions Jesus Christ stresses the importance of taking care of one’s parents. In fact, that was the first question he used to ask when someone wanted to be his disciple.

Ancient Indians considered their parents and teachers as God incarnates. Ancient Upanishads said
Matr Devo bhava, Pitr Devo bhava, Acarya Devo bhava

Let your parents be your God, so also your teacher.
The parents give you birth, they bring you up and take care of you throughout your life. So, in a way, they are like the God who created you, who nourishes you.

Even a teacher gives you a new birth by making you a cultured and knowledgeable individual. In the ancient times when schools were residential, the teacher not only taught, but also played the role of the parents to his students. So, he too is like God.

From ethical point of view, it makes sense to take care of the parents in their old age when they need you the most. Afterall, they took care of you when you were a helpless kid.

Even from societal viewpoint, taking proper care of aged people is essential to ensure a society free from suffering.

The same logic holds when it comes to helping orphans and those in need. Ideally if each one of us could take care of ourselves, at all times, there would be no suffering at all. But all may not be in a position to do that all the time. So, helping those who are in need becomes the basic duty of each individual.

In this context I remember the sane advice given by one of the ancient sages of India namely Manu in his Manu Smriti.

A house holder should eat his meal only after offering food to the Gods who have been kind to him (religious duty and as a way of being grateful), as well as feeding all the beings such as dogs, orphans, destitute, physically ill, guests, students and recluses who may approach him for food.” (Manu Smrthi 3.84 to 3.94 (summarized))

Even if a householder does not have enough to feed his guests and other needy, nothing should stop him from offering some water to quench their thirst, a simple straw mat to take rest on, and a few soothing words of love.” (Manu Smrthi 3.101) 

These are the sentiments even the Quran expresses, and they are universal.

Quranic verses episode 7

Start       Prev     Next 
 
Based on verses from Holy Quran. The interpretation is by Dr.King. The Quran recitations are from various sites such as Quran.net, Quran411.com and so on.


8 comments:

  1. Thank you for being my personal instructor on this niche.

    I actually enjoyed your article greatly and most of all preferred how you handled the issues I regarded as controversial.
    You are always extremely kind to readers much like
    me and assist me to in my existence. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you're a great author.I will
    ensure that I bookmark your blog and may come back in the future.
    I want to encourage you to continue your great job,
    have a nice morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I initially left a comment I appear to have clicked
    the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now whenever a comment is added I recieve four emails with the
    same comment. Perhaps there is a means you are able to remove me from that service?
    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi
      If at all, the problem should be with blogger. If you had commented as anonymous earlier, as you did now, the notify button does not appear as it does not make sense.
      In any case, let me check.

      Delete
    2. I am checking ....

      Delete
  4. I usually do not leave many responses, but i did some searching and
    wound up here "QV07.....Why should we care for our parents and those in need?".
    And I actually do have 2 questions for you if it's allright.

    Is it only me or does it look like some of these responses come across like written by brain dead individuals?
    :-P And, if you are writing on other social sites,
    I would like to keep up with anything new you have to post.
    Would you make a list of every one of your social sites like your
    twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear friend,
      Since you don't write your name, there is no way I can make out how many of the many comments I receive are yours. But write something with reference to contents of the post. General remarks are not very useful to others who read your comments, though I read all comments and thankful to all who wrote nice words. But I can't publish all comments unless they are post specific.

      Delete
  5. I quite like reading through a post that will make people think.

    Also, thank you for allowing me to comment!

    ReplyDelete