Search This Blog

Translate to your language

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Is Turïya a state or reality? (Upanishads...)

In the previous posts I talked about Turiya as a state – one of the four states of cognition. That is my understanding of the Mändükya Upanishad in which it is described. But Advaita philosophers don’t agree. What do they say?

The well known Advaita philosopher Šankara as well as his grand Guru Gaudapäda don’t’ think Turiya as a state. They say that Turïya is the reality over which the other three sates namely wakeful state, dreaming state and the deep sleep state are superimposed.

According to them, what exists is only Turïya which is synonymous with Ätma or  Brahma ( Upanishadic equivalent of God). Other states are only ‘illusions’ projected on to this Turïya. The world we experience through our senses - when we are awake, the one that we experience in dream are all just illusions and don’t really exist as such. It is the Turïya and only Turïya that exists.

Long back when I had not read Upanishads and did not have any inkling about this fine difference, I had written an article based on my own understanding of meditative experiences where the difference between the individual identity and universal identity just vanishes.  My Vedic scholar friend (about whom I talked about in the beginning) had disagreed with me by saying that there is a difference between ‘experiencing’ and ‘reality’.

It is quite a tricky issue and lot of hair splitting. In the next post I will try to illustrate it with the help of an interesting analogy.

Start (Upanishads)



                 Previous               Next   

No comments:

Post a Comment