Search This Blog

Translate to your language

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Upanishads – A journey into the unknown, nay, unknowable


Upanishads are ancient Indian texts that are supposed to be visions of sages when they were in a deep state of meditation, well preserved for more than 3000 years.

Most of these focus prominently on one indescribable entity namely the Ätma or the Brahma – a rough equivalent of God in common parlance.

It looks quite paradoxical to say that they described something indescribable! How can someone describe something that is beyond words? Can any such thing really exist? Or is it just some sort of weird happening in the brain when one is put in a deep meditative state?

Long long ago, I used to write short articles in a magazine. These articles were based on some insights I had. But I used to cloak them in what I used to call ‘absurd style’ to make them appear funny. Many of my readers liked these articles for altogether different reasons, but none understood what I originally meant to convey.

One of my friends, a Vedic scholar who used to read my articles, once told me that my articles have lot of similarities with what is described in the Upanishads. In those days I was not at all familiar with Upanishads, let alone write articles based on them. So I jokingly dismissed his observation by saying that “May be anyone who lives in a certain style and develops some form of mental makeup, comes up with same ideas!” ;-)

Now, after several years, I had sufficient time to study the Upanishads in detail and I see how right my friend was. So, the thoughts expressed in the Upanishads can be anybody’s provided they put themselves in the same state as the sages of ancient times. They need not be sages themselves ;-)

That still does not make these ideas valid. But most likely to be so. I think you can decide for yourselves after reading subsequent posts.

What I intend to do is to publish a series of posts discussing interesting points from various Upanishads. Ponder over them and see what they mean to you. Feel free to share your thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment