Search This Blog

Translate to your language

Thursday, July 27, 2023

Zero cost ecofriendly gardening



I
know, those of you who have ever dirtied your hands trying to cultivate something, must be wondering what I am talking about! “Zero cost and Eco friendly”? Does it sound a bit oxymoronic? Or is it just a wishful thinking? 😉

Even a small kitchen garden demands lot of care, whether it is regular feeding of fertilizers, spraying of insecticides, controlling of various plant diseases and so on. All these cost in terms of money as well as your precious time. Many a times, the chemicals that you use, not only cost you in terms of money and time, but can turn out to be ecological disasters! So, am I serious when I title my talk as “Zero cost ecofriendly gardening”? You must be wondering 😉

We have come a long way transitioning from chemical fertilizers and pesticides, to organic manures and organic pest control. The latest trend is bio fertilizers - feeding our plants with some microorganisms that not only provide nutrition to the plants but also protect them from several diseases.

Decades ago, my friend had tried the use of these bio fertilizers in his fruit farm in India. These things were quite novel in those days, and attracted lot of attention and headlines. But unfortunately, miracles rarely happen. My friend did not see much result, not at least remotely meeting the tall claims made by bio fertilizer promoters.

Very recently, I came across lot of YouTube videos about miraculous experiments being conducted in India. These videos did talk about “zero cost ecofriendly farming” – a dream come true. At first, I did not pay much heed to these videos thinking that these must be yet another “subscription campaign marathon” undertaken by some over enthusiastic YouTubers 😉

But then I noticed something. The person behind these catchy videos was not an ordinary person, but a top scientist in India’s premier institute researching on organic farming. Well, research institutions often make lot of noise to justify their governmental grants and also to attract public support 😉 I thought this must be yet another such gimmick. I was rather skeptical about them.

But when I watched a short interview of this scientist, I was convinced that this man was really serious about what he was doing. He seemed to have a long-term vision and zeal to make it happen.

So, I coaxed my friend to try this scientist’s idea in his farm in India. That is how it all started. I can’t say that there really was some miracle. But there were perceptible results. All these came at almost no cost and effort. For the first time, I found some “lab experiments getting translated into palpable field results” – so to speak. The complete journey was quite thrilling and enjoyable. We even encountered some new findings of our own, which even this scientist may not have thought about.

If you are a gardening enthusiast – be it kitchen gardening, or back yard gardening or full-fledged farming like my friend, our experience may be valuable to you. Since it costs almost nothing – neither in terms of money nor in terms of labor, there is no harm in trying it out. And I can assure you that it does not hurt your plants in any way. My friend is quite happy about it and never gets tired singing praises about his wonderful experience.




My friend and I thought about recording this useful experience in terms of a short book. And here we are, with this book titled “Near ZERO cost ecofriendly gardening: A Thrilling practical experience”. This book is a result of the experiments conducted by my friend in his farm.

My friend is a down to earth person. He believes in doing rather than talking 😉 So, what you see in this book is chronicling of the way the entire experiment went on for nearly a year. Just to make the narrative interesting, I have peppered it with some interesting anecdotes and stories. But there is very little of any theory or scientific jargon – just the way my friend would have liked it.

If you are a gardening enthusiast, you may find this book very useful no matter what kind or scale of gardening you do or which part of the world you live in. You may have to adapt some of the things to suite your region of the world. But I don’t think it should be too difficult. Try it out. I assure you that you won’t regret it, and will come out with something very interesting.

This book is available in almost all online stores and some libraries. Check the link “https://books2read.com/ZeroCostGardening” to preview and purchase this book from your favorite store. The book is available both as e-book as well as printed book.

Happy reading/gardening. Please don’t forget to leave back your reviews on the site where you purchased this book from. I greatly appreciate that.

 
© Dr. King 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment