Search This Blog

Translate to your language

Monday, November 5, 2018

BookTalk: Ancient wisdom - Modern viewpoints


In today’s book talk I am going to discuss about my book “Ancient wisdom modern viewpoints”.

What is this book about?

This book is based on Upanishads, Bhagavad Geetha, Manu Smrti and over half a dozen other related scriptures.

Upanishads and Bhagavad Geetha are the most important scriptures of ancient Indian philosophy.

Among these, Upanaishads are part of the Vedas and 10 of them are considered to be the most important.

Bhagavad Geetha is often seen as a derived work based on the Upanishads, among other things.

Manu Smrti is more of a law book composed by ancient Indian Sage King Manu.

These books are so elaborate and intense that one may need an entire lifetime to study them – as one of my readers observed. I wanted to give the essence of these collection of great books and also many other related scriptures in the form of short articles.

There are articles that summarize salient ideas from the 10 major Upanishads. The articles are crisp and they succinctly capture their essence.

Bhagavad Geetha is considered to be the most holy book of the Hindus. Every word in that book is believed to be the words of God incarnate Sri Krishna.

In my book, I have tried to show how Bhagavad Geetha is the essence of various schools of ancient Indian thought by giving reference to various schools such as the Upanishads, the Sankhya, the Yoga, and even Buddhism.

People who are familiar with the heinous and rigid caste based stratification of the Hindu society, are probably not aware that this system had its roots in the Manu Smrti.

But surprisingly, if one looks into this book, one finds a very logical system of human organization that unfortunately seems to have deteriorated over a period of time. The law maker Manu also spells out how people should live to make a healthy and peaceful society.

I have articles covering these aspects as well.

One of my readers who was doing her master’s in Sanskrit literature told me that my book saved her lot of time since it provided the gist of these difficult to understand and voluminous books. That was the best comment I received!

Where can I find this book?

You can find e-book version in http://books2read.com/AncientWisdom


Just click this link and choose your favorite store to buy the book from. It is available in almost every store.

Print version of this book is available in many stores including amazon, Barnes and Noble among others.

As of today, I don’t have an audiobook version. Hopefully, I will make one sometime.

I hope you enjoy reading this book. Bye then, till we meet again, week after next, with another of my books.







No comments:

Post a Comment